Translate into Spanish

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Dealing with Grief

 

"Grief changes you, but it doesn't have to define you. You don't get over the loss of loved ones; you learn to live with the void, and in doing so, you discover how sacred life really is. You owe it to them—and to yourself—to keep loving, keep creating, and cherish every single morning you wake up to." — Pierce Brosnan, actor

 

            I thought this was tremendous advice. We all eventually experience the death of a loved one at some point in our lives. I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer when she was just 53. I was 24, and not a Christian yet so it was very difficult to deal with. I was away at college (north Jersey), and I knew my mom had gone to the hospital for an operation. No mention of cancer. Story goes that the surgeon opened her up, saw that she was riddled with cancer, closed her back up and when she awoke, told her she didn’t have long to live. Within a couple weeks she had passed on. Finding that out when you’re there with your dad to see her and that she had just passed on was a very bitter pill to swallow. 

                  We always miss our loved ones, but Pierce is right. We must learn to live with the void. We need to come to grips with how quickly time passes and how fragile life truly is. We must learn to embrace the life that we have left and make the most out of every single moment. We will never know when our ticket will be punched. Knowing Christ helps immeasurably in dealing with all this. Why? Because he knows you and the one who passed on. He knows how you feel and His Word can act as a salve to begin the healing process. 

                  Nothing and no one can replace a parent, sibling, spouse, grandparent, or child, but God knows all about it and can ease the pain. When you have a precious memory or see an old picture of the one who has passed on, isn’t it possible that God had something to do with that? I just think He might.

                  Until next time, walk with the King & be a blessing.

In His Name & for His Glory,

RL Keller

Bread of Life Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment