Translate into Spanish

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Lord, why can’t I stop cursing?

 

“Swearing acts as a rapid pressure valve for anger, frustration, pain, and stress.  It triggers a mild fight-or-flight response (measurable via heart rate), which can temporarily blunt pain perception and discharge emotional tension.  

Once a trigger–response loop (e.g., frustration → swear word) is repeated enough, the brain routes it through deep, automatic structures rather than the deliberate language centers.  The result is a neural shortcut that bypasses conscious choice — which is why it feels involuntary. 

Swearing is socially contagious — you learn it from family, friends, and peer groups, and it functions as an in-group signal of trust, authenticity, and intimacy. Communication Accommodation Theory explains how people match the language of those around them. 

The "disinhibition" explanation is when under sudden pain or stress, social self-monitoring drops and taboo words that would normally be suppressed come out. This is partly why swearing spikes during physical pain, surprise, or conflict. Involuntary, context-free cursing can signal Tourette syndrome or other neurological conditions affecting the ventral prefrontal cortex.  This is distinct from habitual but voluntary swearing.

The most common pattern in everyday life is a combination: a personality predisposition + emotional regulation need + social reinforcement + habit entrenchment, making it feel almost reflexive.”

 

My assessment of the problem: You can feed your mind with positive thoughts daily... habitually. Pick other words to replace the curse words; like “biscuit eater” in place of “b*stard”. “Firecracker” in place of “f*ck”. “Sheet” instead of “sh*t”. “Beach” in place of “b*tch”, and so on. Most unsaved folks cuss and think nothing of it. Following suit with them via the words you use will not win you any friends. They may wonder why a “Christian” is really not too much different then them. We are to strive to be like Christ, not our buddies at work. Mingle with unsaved folks, absolutely, but do not replicate their behavior.

If you truly want to stop cussing, it takes determination and self-control. You can do it, but only with the Spirit’s help. I’ve battled this problem most of my adult life. I have good periods of time and horrible periods of time based largely on the level of stress I happen to be dealing with at the time. I am a work in progress, but I have every confidence that with God’s help I will beat this bad habit. 

Until next time, give all your problems and concerns to the Lord.

In His Name & for His Glory,

RL Keller

Bread of Life Ministries

Resources: www.neurolaunch.comwww.scienceinsights.orgwww.themindsjournal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment